Thursday, June 24, 2010

Dirty Thirty


Well gang, this is it. The last few moments of my twenties. It's 11:18 Thursday, June 24 and I'm sitting on an amazing terrace, listening to familiar sounds (guarda!) and gazing out at a spectacular cupola that just happens to be St. Peter's. I'd say I'm rounding out this decade just as I should - in my favorite place surrounded by some favorite and dear people (I'm missing quite a few of you favorite dear people here, don't worry). I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm a lucky girl.

I'm reflecting on the last ten years and three important categories of my life come to mind.

First, my family. I could not be what I am without them. We are hard on each other sometimes, but that love runs strong and deep and true. I adore these people. They are funny and smart and creative and crazy - in the most wonderful of ways. You are a dream family and I am privileged to call myself one of you. My gratitude to you will last my whole life.

Second, my friends. What in the freaking world would I have done without you people??? You are my rock and my guide and my inspiration. You are jokers and artists and creators and bakers and musicians and architects and builders and photographers and designers and magicians and cooks and painters and fashionistas and readers and writers and riders and educators and lovers and listeners and counselors and laughers and smokers and eaters and drinkers and revelers. And you are teachers. My friends have handed me each their own little version of the world and I am better for it. I love each and every one of you with all my heart. My world would be far less bright without all of you.

Third, my international experiences. To learn that I can navigate the world has been one of the greatest gifts of my twenties. There are still many many places to explore and adventures yet to have, but this gaining of my own independence has been a priceless. My few stints living abroad have turned into a kind of infection of which I'm afraid I'll never be free. And I'm totally okay with that. Bring it.

Looking forward. I have some goals for the next decade:
1. Look for the good - in people, situations, places. It's always there.
2. Take care of myself (floss).
3. Scheme - adventures!
4. Love - goes with number one.
5. Let go - the past is ruins, so say the Romans. Acknowledge it and move on.
6. Continue to write.

I've got 12 more minutes of my twenties left, so I'm going to sign off, enjoy the view, raise a wee glass of limoncello and have a little alone time with that cupola before heading to bed. Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bones! What a nice post. I can't wait to see you soon. Enjoy the rest of your time in Roma. Miss you! Happy Birthday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Likewise - that was very sweet! I only wish we could have been there sharing a bottle of something to toast your thirties. But, I'm glad you had time for some reflection. Love you & happy birthday! See you pronto... XO

    ReplyDelete